With the Christmas parade is done, did you think the holiday celebrations in town were over? Hardly. Check out what's happening this weekend - and you don't even have to leave the Plateau:
- Where/When: Friday, Dec. 7 and Saturday, Dec. 8 at White River High School (26928 120th Street East, Buckley) beginning at 7:30 p.m.
- Why Go: The long-standing rivalry between Enumclaw and White River High Schools is taking a back seat to a joint production the schools' drama students are debuting at the end of the month called Almost, Maine. Almost, Maine, written by John Cariani, is a romantic comedy that "inventively explores the mysteries of the human heart, touching audiences with laughter, heartbreak and hope," according to the play's website. (Read more)
- Cost: $8
Free Babysitting While You Shop
- Where/When: Friday, Dec. 7 from 4:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Enumclaw High School
- Why Go: You don't have to go, but if you've got a list of errands to run - and gifts to buy - and the thought of herding your children from store to store doesn't quite appeal to you, leave them with EHS's FCCLA (family, career, and community leaders of America) for a few hours of safe babysitting
- Cost: Free. Just register your child at FCCLAEHS@gmail.com.
Black Diamond Community Tree Lighting
- Where/When: Friday, Dec. 7 at 6:30 p.m. at the Black Diamond Community Center (31605 3rd Ave, Black Diamond)
- Why Go: Enjoy festive caroling and welcome Santa who is set to arrive at 7 p.m. He'll be sticking around for photos with the little kids afterward, and everyone is welcome back to the center for refreshments, including cookies and cocoa.
- Cost: Free
Plateau Ballet Repertory Theatre Presents "The Nutcracker"
- Where/When: Friday, Dec. 7 at 7:30 p.m.; Saturday, Dec. 8 at 3 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. at Enumclaw High School
- Why Go: How can the holiday season be complete without taking in this classic ballet story about young Clara and her adventures with her Nutcracker doll? See this local production, featuring 14 year old Ellie Morem of Buckley, and be amazed by the talented performers right here on the Plateau. If you miss it this weekend, there are four more performances next weekend as well.
- Cost: $12 General Admission; $10 Children 12 and under; $8 Senior citizens 65 and older; group rates also available
5th Annual Black Diamond Elementary PTA Holiday Craft Bazaar
- Where/When: Saturday, Dec. 8 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Black Diamond Elementary
- Why Go: Find unique holiday gifts from a host of home-based businesses and local crafters who will be present at the bazaar. All proceeds go toward helping the PTA pay for new technology and equipment for students. The school was recently recognized as a School of Distinction for student improvement over the last five years.
- Cost: Free
Holiday Open House at Arts Alive!
- Where/When: Saturday, Dec. 8 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Arts Alive!
- Why Go: Meet local artists and get acquainted with Arts Alive!, a community hub for all things art. Enjoy live demonstrations of some of the crafters where you can try your hand too. Pick up unique gifts for your friends and family. Plus refreshments.
- Cost: Free
Santa Photos at Young's Enumclaw Flowers and Gifts
- Where/When: Saturday, Dec. 8 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Young's Enumclaw Flowers and Gifts
- Why Go: Getting a late start with those Christmas cards? Haven't gotten the requisite Santa tantrum picture yet to send to friends and family? Here's your chance to play catch up! Hinman Studios is provided the photography expertise and we hear this Santa's got a real beard too! If you miss the opportunity this week, Santa and Hinman will be back next Saturday, Dec. 15 from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. for more photo ops.
- Cost: Call Hinman Studios at 360-625-8489 for more information.
Cascade Foothills Chorale Sings Christmas Songs
- Where/When: Saturday, Dec. 8 from 2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Chalet Theatre
- Why Go: With the rain and dark skies of winter upon us nothing buoys up your drowning spirits more than music. Especially the songs of Christmas we all love like Silver Bells, SilentNight and White Christmas. Well it is no fairy tale; Santa Claus is Coming to Town with a gift that will warm your heart so you can Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. In addition to many fun and familiar tunes there will be an interactive audience participation in singing the Twelve Days of Christmas. The audience is fortunate to have esteemed choral director, Dean Seuss, conducting the performance. With over 30 years experience, and professional credits normally found in the more metro areas you will get the best Christmas treat. A full-time musician for the Lutheran Church, Seuss holds degrees in French Horn Performance and Choral Conducting, and has done extensive work in the field of musicology, holding two graduate fellowships at the University of Washington. - Susan Etchey
- Cost: $10